10/19/08

more cakes....


Leah Rosenberg is a friend of mine who lives in San Francisco and makes beautiful paintings and cakes. The above cake is her "5 Tiered Thesis Outline Cake", with each tier representing a section of her thesis from her MFA at the California College of Art.

I think the statement on her website regarding her cakes is really nice, and suits our show of cakes in many ways, also - though ours have been sitting in a gallery for several weeks now and I really wouldn't recommend eating them.

Leah's cake statement:
"I have spent a lot of time in the last two years making cakes while continuing to make paintings. A cake to me is a work of art with the intention of generosity. It is beautiful, it is structural, it is an evocative work of color and balance. And then people eat it. They consume it. They find it too sweet or too sticky or too vanilla-y. And then they move on. This is the generosity of art. Create with intention and then, set it free."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Harrell,
Is this the same artist guy I was at the Headlands with? If so, what R U doing in Toronto? I'm in Montreal,
and if you recognize me as the same person from the Headlands, let me know. That would be really wild!
www.kathykennedy.ca